Creamy Cajun Catfish
It’s been 8 months since I first made this dish. Not because it wasn’t amazing, I just didn’t feel like making it, lol. But today I had a strong craving for something creamy, smoky, & spicy, so I made it happen.
This dish is very easy to make and pairs well with pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes. If you don’t already have a favorite dish, I can almost guarantee that this one will make the final cut.
Equipment you will need:
1 large 4-inch deep skillet with lid
A metal spatula
A rubber spatula
The name of the game is LAYERS. Between your cajun catfish, creamy sauce, and this tomato base, there is A LOT of flavor being layered. Pictured above is what I consider the ”foundation”. If you get this part right, you can build upon these flavors with just about anything.
6 catfish fillets (Thawed)
3 cups of fresh spinach
1 Large green bell pepper (Large dice)
1 medium red bell pepper (Large dice)
1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 oz vegetable oil
2 oz of blackened seasoning or any Cajun seasoning.
1 tbsp of crushed red peppers
1 tbsp of ground cumin
2 tbsp of smoked paprika
2 tbsp of Adobo seasoning
10 oz of heavy whipping cream
1. Season your catfish with part of your Reckless Flavor blackened seasoning or Cajun seasoning.
2. Heat your skillet on medium heat and add 3/4 of your oil.
3. Once oil is hot, place your seasoned catfish in the pan, presentation side down, for 2-3 minutes.
4. Flip your fish and let cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
5. Once all of your catfish fillets are cooked, sit them to the side.
6. Wash your skillet and return it to the stovetop. Take your remaining oil and heat it up in the pan on high heat.
7. Add your bell peppers and sauté for 3 minutes or until peppers begin to soften.
8. Pour in your can of diced tomatoes WITH the juice.
9. Season your mixture with all of your spices.
10. Allow that to simmer with the lid on for 2 minutes just to build flavor.
12. Add your spinach & pour in your heavy cream.
13. Place the lid on your pan and allow your spinach to begin to wilt.
14. Taste your sauce and adjust flavors to your liking.
15. Add your catfish to your sauce. Let simmer for 7-8 minutes on low heat with lid on.
16. Serve with pasta, rice, or potatoes.